Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza


Okay... not exactly the healthiest of meals I have prepared-- but definitely one that we will be made again just about as fast as I can!  I almost cried when I realized that the leftovers somehow did not make it to the fridge and had to be thrown out instead!  My husband and I both loved this recipe, and it made a TON of pizza!  Served with a nice fresh salad, you can definitely get a few meals out of this one!  Normally I like for my deep dish crust to be a little more buttery (if you've ever had Gino's, you know what I mean) but this is about as close as I have come to replicating authentic deep dish at home.  I'd love suggestions if someone has an idea for a different crust!

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza


1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
sliced pepperoni
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
28 ounces petite diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Press the dough into the bottom and the sides of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Cover bottom of the pan with sliced pepperoni.  In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.  Drain and sprinkle over dough and pepperoni.  Top with all of the mozzarella cheese.  In the same large skillet, saute the mushrooms and onion in oil until the onion is tender.  Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and garlic powder.  Spoon over the Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

Source: Adapted from Taste of Home Grand Prize Winners

27 comments:

  1. can't go wrong with deep dish!! I grew up in the Chicago area so I'm well familiar with the faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really the worlds worst pizza maker but this recipe make me want to give it one more shot! Yum! I love your toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you like spanish kitchen?? i have started yesterday a blog where weekly i'll show a diferent dish.
    i follow you, do you want to follow me? if you know somebody more than could like my web, show them, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fabuloso! Quick question... does the parm cheese go on last or before the veggies?

    Can't wait to surprise my hubby with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a good cook, given that most Chinese love good food. It is intriguing to see how people express their cooking style and passion.

    Great blog by the way.
    Helen Neely

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good love your blog. Everything looks so yummy
    Check out my new food blog at http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay officially hungry now! And yes Chicago style is the best

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe! I tried it and my husband really loved it!

    affordable medical insurance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the helpful hints. I needed help with finding a los angeles estate sale and this was a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet ideas! Thanks for posting. When I was looking for new kitchen cabinets I went with these guys. Great prices and selection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was great, thanks. If you need more info on a drug intervention then you should check out Ken he’s got great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the helpful info. When I learned about a holistic nutritionist it changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet ideas! Thanks for posting. When I was looking for new kitchen cabinets I went with these guys. Great prices and selection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great article. I needed help with getting together my ipad home control and I found many great resources on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article had great info on looking for a solar lease. Check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Getting info on citizens management can help your company grow quickly and with efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I broke down on the Lonestar run I need motorcycle towing that I could trust and these guys were the ones to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was facing addiction and wanted to go to a teen rehab. These guys are the best and the really know how to help a person grow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I was looking for help with compulsive overeating I didn’t know where to turn. I finally went with this center and they helped me save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don’t let coke take over your life. You can get cocaine addiction treatment help today. Turn to someone who can help.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When our practice got started we needed beauty supply help. These were the guys we turned to and they did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and food blogs.

    We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog (url) and we would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.recipesus.com/top-food-blogs

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds super delicious! Thank you so much for posting this recipe. It looks awesome and I can’t wait to try this recipe out.


    My homepage | Online PhD Schools

    ReplyDelete