Monday, April 12, 2010

Grilled Pork Cabobs with Cucumber Tzatziki


Whenever we are able to get back to my hometown, one of my 'must have' meals is from the best little gyros shop I have been able to ever find!  (It doesn't hurt that my husband is a huge fan as well-- he doesn't hesitate when I suggest a quick lunch!)  One of the best elements of these sandwiches is the tzatziki sauce and I was really excited to find this recipe featuring the homemade version.  I've never tried to make my own before, but this recipe was so simple and easy to throw together.  It had a great flavor and was the perfect sauce for these tender pork cabobs.  I followed the recipe as listed, except for the substitution of red onions.  I prefer their flavor in grilled dishes.

Another benefit, other than the tzatziki sauce, the dish is a dairy-free option for my son!  He loved the pork and gobbled up his entire portion.

Grilled Pork Kabobs with Cucumber Tzatziki
4 burrito-size flour tortillas, halved
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
1 pound pork loin, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 onions, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges each (I used red onion instead)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup plain greek-style yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped mint
1/2 English cucumber, grated

Preheat a grill to medium-high.  Brush the tortillas with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Tost on the grill until browned, about 5 minutes.  In a large bowl, toss the pork and onions with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and season with the oregano, salt and pepper, thread onto bamboo skewers.  Meanwhile, mash garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a paste.  Transfer to a small bowl and add the yogurt, mint, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Press the cucumber in a sieve to remove excess liquid.  Stir the cucumber into the yogurt mixture.  Grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.  Serve with the tzatziki and tortillas.

Source: Everyday with Rachael Ray, May 2010

4 comments:

  1. I've never had anything like this before! It looks wonderful and I'm glad your son can enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing! I also love that it is grilling season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy! I bet it would work with chicken, too, instead of pork.

    ReplyDelete